News

Atiku advises FG on insecurity after abduction of Zamfara schoolgirls

Former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, has advised the Federal Government following the abduction of over 300 schoolgirls from the Government Girls Secondary School, Jangebe in the Talata-Mafara Local Government Area of Zamfara State.

Atiku in a statement via his social media handle on Friday the attack on schools has now proven the necessity of states to have the powers to provide security of life and property in their domain.

He said: “My heart is very heavy over the abduction of our young daughters from Government Girls Secondary School, Jangebe, Zamfara State.

“I have had a phone conversation with the Governor of Zamfara, H.E Bello Matawalle, and I am informed that his government is doing everything in its power to secure the release of the abducted students.

“I have previously made recommendations on how our beloved nation can defeat enemies of the state and win the war on terror, and I stand by those suggestions.

“However, right now, all hands must be on deck to support the Zamfara state government in securing the release of those abducted.

“The Federal Government cannot expect the states to provide security of life and property in their domain, without giving them control over internal security. This is now a necessity.”

Furthermore, Atiku called on lawmakers across the country to commence the process of ceding policing powers to the States.

“Thus, I call on the National and State Assemblies to begin the process of constitutional and legal reforms that will make this a reality.

“The Legislature must take the lead, as it seems the Executive may not be able to provide the needed leadership on this issue.

“My heart goes out to the families of the abducted children, and my right hand of fellowship is extended to Governor Matawalle, to help in any way possible,” he said.

Advertise with Okay.ng |  Send news and press releases to Okay.ng | Get daily news updates on Telegram
Okay.ng on Google News


Back to top button