No fewer than 13 farmers have been killed while several others are missing as suspected Boko Haram insurgents reportedly attacked rice farmers on their farms in Mafa Local Government Area of Borno State Sunday evening.
It was gathered that the insurgents stormed rice fields and rounded up the farmers who were harvesting their farm produce in Karkut and Koshebe General Area, Mafa LGA, slaughtering them with knives.
Okay.ng recalls that Boko Haram fighters had on Saturday, 28th November 2020 killed at least 43 farm workers and injured six in rice fields in Zabarmari, Borno State.
President Muhammadu Buhari condemned the killing in a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu.
According to Civilian Joint Task Force sources, 13 dead bodies have been recovered as search for missing people continues in the latest attack.
“We are sad this incident is happening again this year, we lost more than a dozen of our farmers from Zabarmari who were attacked on Sunday evening while working on their rice fields in Mafa LGA.
“The whole town is sad and we are mourning as we speak. Security agencies and CJTF are still searching for those who are missing but 13 dead bodies have so far been recovered,” a source said.
A top security source said the terrorists who were on motorcycles devided themselves into three groups before attacking the farmers.
The source said the assailants did not use their guns, instead they used cutlasses and knives.
“Nine bodies were recovered as at Yesterday (Sunday) night, while the search for others who fled the attacks are still ongoing,” he said.