TotalEnergies, a multinational energy company with a strong presence in Nigeria, has recently made a significant announcement regarding the discovery of the Ntokon oil and gas field on OML102, located offshore Nigeria.
The discovery, announced on Tuesday through a statement on TotalEnergies’ website, has captured the attention of industry experts and stakeholders alike.
Situated in shallow waters, approximately 60 km off the southeast coast of Nigeria, the Ntokon-1AX discovery well encountered 38 meters of net oil pay and 15 meters of net gas pay.
In addition, the Ntokon-1G1 side-track well revealed an impressive 73 meters of net oil pay in reservoirs of outstanding quality and development.
- Advertisement -
The success of the Ntokon-1G1 well was further highlighted by its testing, which achieved a maximum rate of around 5,000 barrels per day of 40° API oil.
This result underscores the commercial viability of the discovery and reinforces its potential for significant production output.
To capitalize on existing infrastructure, TotalEnergies plans to develop the Ntokon field through a tie-back to the Ofon field facilities located just 20 km away on OML102.
This strategic decision demonstrates TotalEnergies’ commitment to cost-efficiency and reduced emissions, aligning with their overarching low-cost, low-emission strategy.
Nicolas Terraz, President of Exploration & Production at TotalEnergies, expressed his optimism regarding the Ntokon discovery, stating, “The Ntokon discovery opens a promising outlook for a new tie-back development.”
Terraz further emphasized the potential of nearby exploration, following the successful start-up of the Ikike tie-back project on OML99 in 2022, to create value within TotalEnergies’ strategic framework.
OML102, the operational block for this significant discovery, is jointly operated by TotalEnergies EP Nigeria, holding a 40% interest, and NNPC Ltd, which retains the remaining 60% interest.
TotalEnergies is a multinational energy company operating in more than 130 countries. For over 50 years, the company has operated in the downstream sector of the Nigerian oil and gas industry.