The suspension placed on UNICEF activities in the North East by the Nigerian Army has been lifted.
okay.ng recalls that the Nigerian Army had earlier placed a suspension of UNICEF activities after accusing the organisation of allegedly working with Boko Haram terrorists in the Northern part of the country.
In a second statement hours later, the military said it held an emergency meeting with UNICEF representatives late on Friday following intervention by well-meaning and concerned Nigerians.
The second statement reads;
“After extensive deliberations on the need to seek modalities to work harmoniously with the security agencies in the theatre of operation, the Theatre Command has henceforth lifted the three months suspension earlier imposed on UNICEF,”.
The military also revealed in its second statement that during the meeting it urged “UNICEF representatives to ensure they share information with relevant authorities whenever induction or training of new staff is being conducted in the theatre”.
A UNICEF spokeswoman earlier said after the allegation and suspension the organisation that they were “verifying the information”.