WhatsApp is one of the most widely used messaging apps globally, where people share personal thoughts and information.
While the platform already employs default end-to-end encryption to safeguard messages, users can take additional steps to bolster the security of their conversations.
Here are some tips to enhance security on WhatsApp:
- Activate Two-Step Verification: Enable two-step verification to add an extra layer of security to your WhatsApp account. This feature prompts you for a 6-digit PIN when resetting or verifying your account, protecting it from phishing attacks and unauthorized access.
- Use the Official App: Ensure you’re using the latest version of the official WhatsApp app. Your messages are only secure when using the official app, as fake versions may pose security risks. Verify the app logo and name to avoid using counterfeit apps.
- Utilize Disappearing Options: For added privacy, utilize disappearing options to send photos and media with View Once. This feature allows recipients to view the message only once without the option to save, forward, or screenshot it.
- Enable Chat Lock: Add an extra layer of security to sensitive conversations with chat lock. This feature protects specific chat threads in a folder accessible only to you, safeguarding intimate conversations from unauthorized access.
- Administer Groups Securely: If you’re a group admin, safeguard your community by controlling who joins the group, restricting members’ permissions, and monitoring for unwanted messages or members.
- Protect Against Scams: Pause and think before responding to suspicious messages. Verify the sender’s identity and report/block suspicious contacts to maintain account security.
- Silence Unknown Callers: Prevent disruptions from unknown numbers by silencing unknown callers, minimizing spam and scam calls.
- Link Devices from Trusted Sources: Link your devices to WhatsApp only from trusted sources to ensure uninterrupted chat experiences. Review linked devices regularly and log out any unrecognized devices.
- Take Privacy Checkup: Utilize WhatsApp’s privacy checkup feature to understand and enable privacy settings that suit your preferences, ensuring your conversations remain protected.