Boko Haram Fresh Attack Claims 20 Near Chibok

Boko-Haram-okay-gombe

Suspected members of the dreaded terrorist group, Boko Haram have reportedly killed 20 people in a fresh attack on two villages near Chibok, Borno state, ThisDay reports.

Muhammed Abbas Gava, spokesperson for the Nigerian civilian militia made this known to Associated Press.

Gava said the militants attacked Kamtahi and Galtimari villages on Monday evening, adding that they burnt houses and shot sporadically while residents were forced to flee for their lives.

“Virtually every house in the two villages were burnt to ash. The villages were totally razed down as residents fled for their lives, some with injuries,” Gava said.

When the Borno State police command spokesman, Gideon Jubrin, was contacted for confirmation, he denied knowledge of the alleged attack.

It would be recalled that there were two suicide bombings on Tuesday at a crowded marketplace.

According to a medical doctor in Maiduguri, the state capital, Dr. Musa Taji, no fewer than 70 people were killed.

Suspected Boko Haram members on Monday attacked the village of Damasak, with improvised explosive devices and petrol bombs.

Also no fewer than 50 people were reportedly killed last week by the sect in a fishing settlement of Doron Baga, along the shores of Lake Chad.

A Human Rights Watch researcher, Mausi Segun, however, hinted that Boko Haram has carried out a series of bombing campaigns since the sect members gunmen stole eight trucks of explosive materials from a cement factory in Gombe earlier this month.

Borno State, located in the North-East has been under repeated attacks by the sect. Chibok, is one of the communities in the state where over 234 female students were abducted by the militants on April 14.

Boko Haram has killed thousands of innocent Nigerians since its five-year-old Islamic uprising.

In a reaction to these killings and atrocities, President Goodluck Jonathan recently requested an extension of emergency rule in three troubled states of Adamawa, Yobe, Borno, but the request is being stalled by the lawmakers as some of them opined that the emergency rule has not yielded any positive desired since it was imposed May 2013.

An international group, Amnesty International in its recent report said the Boko Haram insurgency has killed over 1,500 people this year.

It would be recalled that the European Union (EU) on November 25, revealed plans to give the sum of €5 million to boosts its humanitarian aid to the displaced victims of the Boko Haram insurgency in north-eastern part of Nigeria.

Meanwhile, former militants of the Niger Delta have accused some Northern political leaders of secretly sponsoring and aiding the Boko Haram insurgency in parts of the country, alleging that they were doing so to mar the peaceful running of President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration.

Advertise with Okay.ng |  Send news and press releases to Okay.ng | Get daily news updates on Telegram
Okay.ng on Google News


Back to top button