Popular Nigerian RnB singer, Darey Art Alade is a year older today, February, 9. Below are 15 facts every Nigerian should know about the acclaimed king of Nigerian RnB.
1. Darey is an award winning singer, song writer, event anchor and reality show judge.
2. Born Dare Arthur-Alade on February 9
3. He was born in Lagos to legendary Nigerian Jazz pioneer Art Alade and Olapeju Alade.
4. With his father’s influence, he got to know about showbiz at a tender age and from the age 15, he began performing extensively in clubs around Lagos, Ibadan and other cities in Nigeria.
5. He studied Music at the University of Lagos.
6. He was a member of an acapella group known as The Chordwebs while he also worked as an OAP at Cool Fm.
7. He kick-started his music career fully after he emerged 2nd runner-up at the 2004 edition of Project Fame which held in South Africa.
8. His debut album, ‘From Me 2 U’ was released under Obi Asika’s Stom Records in 2006.
9. Darey has over almost the past decade been a disc jockey, TV presenter, entertainment consultant, voice over artist and performing/recording artist.
10. He hosted the first edition of the Headies (Hiphop world Awards) in 2006 and has gone on to host several events and concerts.
11. In February 2013, he put up one of the biggest shows Nigeria has ever seen, Darey Presents: ‘Love Like A Movie’ which had the red carpet hosted by Kim Kardashian.
12. On request of the President of Nigeria, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, he was invited to perform at the presidential villa in an exclusive dinner to commemorate the Country’s 50th independence Anniversary.
13. Darey has since dropped four albums including his recently acclaimed record, ‘Naked’ which has continued to garner positive review.
14. He is a businessman and philanthropist with backbone support from Soul Muzik – his event and TV production company, Soul band and a state of the art production facility, Soul Muzik Studios – where he does all his production and recording.
15. Darey is regarded as the ‘king of Nigerian RnB’, a title which remains largely undisputed.