Veteran Nigerian actor, Jab Adu reportedly died in the early hours of yesterday, February 28, 2016 at his home in Abeokuta. He was aged 83.
While the details of his death still remain sketchy, here are 10 things Nigerian should know about the late veteran actor – Jab Adu.
1. Jab Adu was born as Joseph Abiodun Babatunde Adu in 1933.
2. He was born in Calabar, Cross River State but he is originally from Abeokuta, Ogun State.
3. Jab Adu is renowned for his role as ‘Bassey Okon’ in the popular Nigerian Television Authority, NTA, drama series titled ‘The Village Headmaster’.
4. Trained as a professional banker before settling for acting, the late Jab Adu had an illustrious career on stage, television and film.
5. An abridged version of the biography of the deceased written by Adegboyega Arulogun state that Jab Adu started his adult life as a banker with the Central Bank of Nigeria.
6. Aside acting, he is also a writer.
7. He left banking in 1970 and went into full acting, writing and production.
8. He was a film producer whose production credits include “Bisi, Daughter of the River” and “Adio’s Family”, a series he co-produced with NTA.
9. The crew for the production of “Bisi, Daughter of the River” were both Nigerian and foreign film technicians.
10. Jab Adu, while alive, was a devotee of Grail Message Movement.