Sanwo-olu gives update on Coronavirus patient in Lagos

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State has given an update on the condition of Italian national tested positive for Coronavirus disease in the state.

Sanwo-Olu during a press conference in Lagos stated that the patient is currently in a “stable condition.”

Okay.ng recalls that the Italian was confirmed positive by Nigeria’s minister of health, Osagie Ehanire, in the early hours of Friday, February 28, 2020.

Governor Sanwo-Olu speaking to newsmen on the coronavirus called on Lagosians not to panic.

He said: “The COVID-19 patient is an Ogun State-based expatriate who flew into Lagos from Milan in Italy via Istanbul, Turkey last Monday evening.

“He remains in stable condition at the bio-security facility in Yaba, Lagos Mainland, where he is being isolated.

“The patient, although, tested positive to COVID-19 virus is yet to show any respiratory symptoms at this time. He complained of fever and body pain, which prompted his transfer from Ogun State to Lagos for advanced medical investigation.

“People who had physical contact with the patient before the virus was diagnosed, are being traced, while others are currently being examined for possible symptoms.

“There should be no cause for panic among Nigerians over the reported COVID-19 incident because measures has been set in motion by the State and Federal governments to contain the spread of the virus across the country.

“Lagos has 2 bio-security facilities and is more than capable to contain the virus. Health workers and emergency officials are on the field to track all persons that had physical contacts and interaction with the patient.

“Lagos state is in constant touch with the Federal Ministry of Health to harmonise response to the incident. The patient is stable and every health intervention required is currently being given to him.

“The patient was transferred to Lagos after the incident was reported in Ogun State, because Lagos is the only state in the Southwest that has testing centres.

“The patient started to show signs of illness on Wednesday afternoon, after which he was presented at the Ogun State-based firm’s hospital where investigation began.

“Investigation began at the hospital and the medical personnel at the company’s hospital kept the patient in isolation overnight and contacted the bio-security facility in Lagos for assistance. The patient was brought to our high-containment facility in Yaba on Thursday morning.

“Immediately the patient arrived, he was put in proper isolation and the appropriate tests were conducted on him. Within hours, the test showed signs of positivity.

“The state remains prepared to contain any potential spread of the virus and aggressive public awareness campaign is going on to sensitise residents on hygiene and activities that can prevent the spread of virus.”

COVID-19 in Nigeria


Advertise with Okay.ng |  Send news and press releases to Okay.ng | Get daily news updates on Telegram

Okay.ng on Google News

Job Ayantoye

Job is a reporter for Okay.ng, he focuses on bringing local news reports in Nigeria.
Back to top button