Samsung Galaxy J5 (2017) is the 2017 refresh of the smartphone of similar name from last year. Samsung Galaxy J5 (2017) boasts a more solid design, fingerprint reader, and an energy-efficient processor that looks to boost battery runtime.
Where to Buy Samsung Galaxy J5 (2017)
Samsung Galaxy J5 (2017) Key Specifications & Features
- 5.2-inch Super AMOLED Display, 720 x 1280 pixels (282 ppi)
- 1.6GHz Octa-core Exynos 7870 Octa, 2GB or 3GB RAM
- Android 7.1 (Nougat)
- 16GB or 32GB Storage with support for memory card up to 256GB
- 13MP Rear Camera and 13MP Front Camera
- Fingerprint Sensor (Front)
- 4G LTE Data (up to 300 Mbps download)
- 3000 mAh Battery
Design and Display
After disappointing its fans for so long, Samsung impresses here by providing robust construction. The Korean company has long stuck to housing its cheaper smartphones in plastic casing. But the Samsung Galaxy J5 (2017) dons an impressive all-metal chassis.
Finally, buyers can get what Chinese companies have been offering on a more budget-friendly Samsung phone. The device is somewhat slim as well at 8 millimetres.
Samsung Galaxy J5 (2017) sports a Super AMOLED touch display measuring 5.2 inches diagonally. The multi-touchscreen has a resolution of 720 x 1,280 pixels. This should make for sharp images and nice colours.
Camera and Storage
This one looks ready to deliver some cool shots looking at the setup. On the rear of the Samsung Galaxy J5 (2017) you will find a 13MP shooter with f/1.7 aperture, autofocus and LED flash. Turn the device and you find another 13MP camera for selfies.
You can record Full HD (1080p) videos at 30 fps. As for storage, that will depend on the model bought. You get either 16 GB or 32 GB.
Performance and OS
Attending to business under the hood is an in-house, octa-core Exynos 7870 processor. The chip, also used in last year’s J7, runs at speeds up to 1.6 GHz. It is noted for its energy efficiency.
A Mali-T830 MP2 GPU takes care of graphics. The Samsung Galaxy J5 (2017) comes with 2 GB or 3 GB of RAM, depending on model. Its operating system is Android 7.1 Nougat.
Other Specifications and Features
Power is supplied by a respectable 3000mAh Li-Ion battery rated to last up to 21 hours of talk time. You also get improved security on the smartphone with a front mounted fingerprint scanner. There are both single-SIM and dual-SIM variants, depending on market.
As would be expected, the Samsung Galaxy J5 (2017) offers LTE technology. The Samsung Galaxy J5 (2017) supports LTE on 9Mobile, MTN, Ntel, Smile, and InterC in Nigeria
There is also Bluetooth 4.1 and dual band Wi-Fi 802.11ac with Wi-Fi Direct and hotspot functionality for wireless connectivity.
Pricing and availability
Samsung Galaxy J5 (2017) is not officially available in Nigeria, Kenya, and Ghana. However, you may be able to buy the Android phone at leading online stores in the countries. Samsung Galaxy J5 (2017) Price in Nigeria is expected to range from 50,000 Naira to 85,000 Naira depending on your location in the country.
Its price in Ghana starts at around GH₵ 795. Samsung Galaxy J5 (2017) Price in Kenya starts at around 16,900 KSh.
Samsung Galaxy J5 (2017) Specifications
Here are a few specifications of the Samsung Galaxy J5 (2017):
- Platform: Android 7.1 (Nougat)
- Processor: 1.6GHz octa-core Processor (Exynos 7870 Octa)
- GPU: Mali-T830 MP2
- Memory: 2GB RAM or 3GB RAM (Samsung Galaxy J5 Pro (2017))
- Colours: Pink, Blue, Black, Gold
- Dimension: 146.2 x 71.3 x 8 mm
- Weight: 160 g
- SIM Type: Nano-SIM
- SIM Count: Single SIM or Dual SIM
- Display: 5.2-inch Super AMOLED Display, 720 x 1280 pixels (282 ppi)
- Rear Camera: 13MP Camera, HD Video 1080p @30fps
- Rear Camera Features: Autofocus, LED flash, Geo-tagging, touch focus, face/smile detection, Panorama, HDR
- Front Camera: 13MP Camera
- Built-in Storage: 16GB or 32GB (Galaxy J5 Pro (2017))
- Memory Card Support: Yes, up to 256GB
- 2G GSM: Yes
- 2G CDMA 1X: No
- 3G WCDMA: Yes
- 3G CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: Yes, LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 40(2300)
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: Yes
- HSPA+: Yes, up to 42.2 Mbps
- CDMA EVDO: No
- 4G LTE: Yes, up to 300 Mbps
- WLAN: Yes, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth: Yes Bluetooth 4.1, A2DP
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: No
- USB Port: Yes, micro USB 2.0
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: Yes
- Push Emails: Yes
- Music Player: MP3/WAV/eAAC+/Flac player
- Video Player: Xvid/MP4/H.264 player
- FM Radio: Yes
- Loudspeaker: Yes
- 3.5mm Jack: Yes
- Navigation: Yes, with A-GPS, GLONASS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: Yes
- Barometer: No
- SpO2: No
- Pedometer: No
- Heart Rate Monitor: No
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: No
- Iris Scanner: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: No
- Voice Control: Yes
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Wireless Charging: No
- Built-in Mobile Payment: No
- Water Resistant: No
- Dust Resistant: No
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: Yes
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: No
- Battery: 3000 mAh Li-ion Battery (Non-Removable)
- Talktime: up to 21 hours