Nigerian soldiers fighting against Boko Haram have reportedly retreated from the sect’s stronghold in Sambisa Forest, Borno state following fears that the area might be booby-trapped.
The soldiers were forced abandon their operation on Thursday, April 23, 2015 after three vigilantes were killed by a landmine, Reuters reports.
“The soldiers have retreated to Bama because of mines. They had been on the road but that made them vulnerable, so they moved to the bush but there are mines planted there (too),” a soldier, who chose to remain anonymous, told Reuters.
“Three of our boys were killed by a landmine as we progressed into Sambisa. We’ve suspended going farther,” Muhammad Mungonu, a member of a vigilante group also said.
Nigeria’s National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki earlier announced that troops would invade the forest and hopefully secure it before May 29, 2015, when a new government would be sworn in.