News

Nigerian Doctor Convicted Of Fraud In UK

[img]https://www.okay.ng/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/doctor-okay.png[/img] [img]https://www.okay.ng/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/doctor-2-okay.png[/img]

A Nigerian UK based doctor, Anthony Madu, was today Nov 3 convicted of fraud after lying about his health. Madu, 45 told to his employers at the Cardiff and Vale University Health Board in Wales that he was ill and was paid £29,000 as allowance for sick leave. It was later discovered that he carried out well-paid locum work at other while on sick leave.
Below is the report from Dailymail:

“Madu was given the specialist registrar obstetrics gynaecology post at the University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff, in August 2009. But he was suspended two months later over allegations about his conduct towards other staff and claims he had falsified his training record, the court heard.

From January 2010, he then submitted sick notes on three different occasions, saying he could not work because of stress. Madu then made ‘tens of thousands of pounds’ while working for Sandwell General Hospital in Birmingham as well as Scarborough General Hospital and The Royal Oldham Hospital in Greater Manchester, the jury heard.
Prosecutor Christian Jowett said: ‘He was legally obliged to tell his employers about his work but he did not do so. He was also legally obliged to tell two locum agencies that he was on extended leave and had been granted sickness leave.
But he continued to work and receive payment from both Cardiff and Vale University Health Board and his work in England.This was a very costly business for the NHS and very lucrative for Dr Madu – that’s why he did it. Madu had been irresponsible as well as dishonest.’
The prosecution said the total cost to the Welsh NHS for covering his absence was £49,000 and Madu received more than £100,000 for working as a locum and £29,000 in sick pay
He was convicted of failing to declare to Cardiff and Vale University Health Board (CVUHB) he had taken secondary employment, that he had failed to tell two different agencies, Medacs and JCJ, he had been signed off sick and that he did not declare to either agency he had been suspended.

Remanding Madu in custody at Cardiff Crown Court today, Judge David Wynn Morgan said: ‘It may well be a tragedy has been avoided by the timely actions by the health board.’ Madu will be sentenced on November 28.”

Okay.ng



Advertise with Okay.ng |  Send news and press releases to Okay.ng
okay ng banner google news - Nigerian Doctor Convicted Of Fraud In UK

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close