INEC Vows to Go Ahead with Dino Melaye’s Recall Process Despite Legal Obstacles
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has vowed to continue with the recall process of Senator Dino Melaye (APC-Kogi West) despite experiencing many legal obstacles.
The chairman of the Commission, Professor Mahmood Yakubu, made this known on Tuesday at the quarterly consultative meeting with newsmen.
He said: ”There was a pronouncement on Thursday last week on the matter and everything has been taking to the Court of Appeal. We are waiting to be served with court documents and the commission will take a decision today.
”Ultimately, election and recall are legal processes and we will not violate the laws of this country but I want to assure you that we will proceed courageously.
”Citizens must have the right to recall anybody as long as the process is in conformity with the law of this country and I am committed to that.”
Yakubu also warned politicians seeking to run in 2018 and 2019 to stop campaigning as this was in contravention of the Electoral Act.
”Let me warn political parties and aspirants. We have not released the schedule of activities for the elections. Anything that anybody does is illegal before the law. They should wait for the time table of the elections,” he said.