Pauline Tallen, the former Minister of Women Affairs, has broken her silence regarding her recent interrogation by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).
In a statement issued on Saturday morning, Tallen clarified that she visited the EFCC office voluntarily and was not invited or arrested.
The ex-minister’s visit to the zonal command of the anti-graft agency in Abuja sparked rumors and speculations about her involvement in corrupt practices.
The focus of the EFCC’s inquiry was allegedly misappropriated funds amounting to N2 billion from the African First Lady Peace Mission Project (AFLPM).
- Advertisement -
Tallen strongly denied the allegations, emphasizing that she took the initiative to address the “very false allegations” that had been made against her.
However, she did not provide specific details regarding the nature of the accusations.
Explaining her decision to address the matter publicly, Tallen said: “Owing to the respect for my former principal — Former President Muhammadu Buhari and his good office, I did not previously address the open allegation, however, it has now become necessary to do so.
“Firstly, the decent & appropriate action, should this have been a genuine enquiry, would be to write to the Ministry for Women Affairs, to enquire about any funds sent to the Ministry.
“To immediately jump to the open without any proper formal correspondence is highly unprofessional, portrays a lack of respect for the Ministry of Women Affairs and is injurious to my person and character.
“Furthermore, I will like to state that there was no formal invitation from the anti-graft agency neither was I arrested.”
She said “economic and political infrastructure” should be used to serve the nation and “not to be used as a tool for bias or intimidation”.