Oluwarotimi Oduanayo Akeredolu, a senior advocate of Nigeria (SAN), would be contesting the governorship election in Ondo state.
In the previous election, he ran on the platform of the then Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN), and came next to Olusegun Mimiko, the incumbent governor.
In November 26, 2016, Rotimi Akeredolu will be contesting with Eyitayo Jegede, Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, if the crises within the ruling party solved to favour the Makarfi-led faction.
Both Eyitayo Jegede and Rotimit Akeredolu were once attorney general of Ondo state.
Here are 8 things you should know about the All Progressives Congress candidate for the Ondo 2016 gubernatorial election…
– Born on July 21, 1956 to Ola Akeredolu, a reverend and Grace Akeredolu, a lady evangelist,Aketi started his primary education at Government School, Owo.
– He attended three secondary schools: Aquinas College, Akure, Loyola College, Ibadan and Comprehensive High School, Ayetoro, where he obtained his Higher School Certificate (HSC).
– He later gained admission into the University of Ife (now Obafemi Awolowo University) to study Law, graduating in 1977. He was called to the Nigerian Bar 1978.
– He served as attorney-general of Ondo between 1997 and 1999. He was also chairman of the Legal Aid Council between 2005 and 2006.
– Rotimi Akeredolu became president of the Nigerian Bar Association in 2008
– In November 2009 he faced allegations of corruption when the Bar Association’s Third Vice-President, Welfare Secretary and Assistant Financial Secretary circulated a petition entitled “Complaints against your fraudulent manifestations, violation of the NBA”. Subsequently, the allegations against him were reviewed and dropped by the National Executive council of the Nigerian Bar Association.
– On 28 July 2012, On Akeredolu was selected as the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) candidate for Governor of Ondo State during the ACN congress in Akure. His selection pitched him in a head to head battle with the incumbent, Olusegun Mimiko and Mr Olusola Oke of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)
– On Saturday September 3rd, 2016, he won the sole ticket to represent the All Progressive Congress (APC) at their primary conducted in Ondo State to represent the party at the forth-coming 2016 elections.